PEEPA is responsible for advising Government on privatization strategies as well as implementation of privatization, which includes commercialization, restructuring, outsourcing and divesture interventions for the effectiveness and efficiency of PEs and Ministries as well as promoting good corporate governance in PEs.
More specifically, PEEPA is responsible for:
- Offering advice on privatization and developing strategies and implementation plans for Cabinet approval;
- Implementing Cabinet decisions on the privatization of a particular public entity or service;
- Managing the roll out of Government’s outsourcing programme;
- Undertaking sector reform studies linked to privatization, as funded by line ministries;
- Assisting Government in setting performance targets for public entities;
- Reviewing objectives of existing PEs and set objectives for PEs to be commercialized and/or corporatized;
- Monitoring the performance of PEs in meeting their objectives and targets;
- Advise Government on the appointment of directors to serve on PE boards and monitor their performance;
- Developing and executing a public education programme
- Serving as Secretariat to the Divestiture Reference Committee.